The Cucumber Tomato Salad is a timeless dish, offering a refreshing and light experience. It’s crafted with thinly sliced cucumbers and ripe tomatoes, complemented by slivers of red onion and dressed in a zesty vinaigrette.
Creating Your Own Cucumber Tomato Salad
As the local farmer’s markets burst with fresh, juicy vegetables, it’s the ideal time to whip up a generous bowl of cucumber tomato salad.
- Prepare the dressing by blending all the listed ingredients from the recipe.
- Thinly slice all the vegetables and gently mix them with the prepared dressing.
- To elevate the salad’s flavors, I recommend adding a blend of fresh or dried oregano and basil, evoking a Mediterranean flair. For an alternative herbal zest, fresh dill and/or parsley are excellent choices.
For this recipe, English cucumbers are a perfect choice due to their tender peel and minimal seeds, eliminating the need for peeling or seed removal. However, if you only have regular salad cucumbers, they’ll work just as well. Simply peel them and, if necessary, remove the seeds before slicing.
3 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Toss well to mix.
3. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.